Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHARLTON-MARSHALL

CHARLTON-MARSHALL, a parish in Blandford district, Dorset; on the river Stour, near the Blandford railway, 2 miles S of Blandford-Forum. It has a post office, of the name of Charlton, under Blandford. Acres, 2,100. Real property, £2,732. Pop., 553. Houses, 114. The property is divided among a few. Roman coins have been found. The parish is a meet for the Blackmoor barriers. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Spetisbury, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church was built in 1727; and contains a monument of Wake, the founder of the corporation for the sons of the clergy. There is an Independent chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Charlton Marshall CP/Ch       Blandford PLU/RegD       Dorset AncC
Place: Charlton Marshall

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.