Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHELVEY

CHELVEY, a parish in Bedminster district, Somerset; on the Bristol and Exeter railway, near Nailsea r. station, 8½ miles WSW of Bristol. Post town, Nailsea, Somerset. Acres, 1, 077. Rated property, £1, 249. Pop., 54. Houses, 8. The property is all in one estate. The house-house is now used as a farm-house; and bears the arms of the Tyntes, who became owners of the manor about 1600. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £142. Patron, J. Cooke, Esq. The church is later English.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Chelvey AP/CP       Long Ashton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Chelvey

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.