Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHESTERTON

CHESTERTON, a township in Wolstanton parish, and a chapelry in Wolstanton and Audley parishes, Stafford. The township lies adjacent to the North Stafford railway and the Grand Trunk canal, 2 miles WNW of Burslem; and has a post office under Stoke-upon-Trent. Real property, £5, 506; of which £1, 000 are in mines. Pop., 2, 459. Houses, 500. The property is much sub-divided. A castle stood here before the Conquest; but has disappeared. The chapelry consists of the township, with part of Audley parish; and was constituted in 1846. Pop., 4, 067. Houses, 847. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £300.* Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church is recent, in the early English style, with handsome tower and spire. There are chapels for Wesleyans and other Methodists.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Wolstanton AP/CP       Staffordshire AncC
Place: Chesterton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.