Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHESTERTON

CHESTERTON, a village, a parish, a district, and a hundred in Cambridgeshire. The village stands on the river Cam, adjacent to the Eastern Counties railway, 1 mile NNE of Cambridge; includes numerous new houses, inhabited by persons engaged in business in Cambridge; and has a post office under Cambridge. The parish comprises 2, 729 acres; and contains Cambridge county jail, a workhouse, and remains of Cambridge castle, a seat of the priors of Barnwell, and the Roman camp of Arbury. Real property, £10, 280. Pop., 2, 986. Houses, 644. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged to the priory of Barnwell. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £206.* Patron, Trinity College, Cambridge. The church is decorated English. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, three public schools, a general cemetery, and charities £81.

The district comprehends the sub-district of Fulbourn, containing the parishes of Chesterton, Milton, Fen-Ditton, Horningsea, Teversham, St. cum-Quy, Little Wilbraham, Great Wilbraham, Cherry-Hinton, and Fulbourn-All Saints, and St. Vigors; the sub-district of Willingham, containing the parishes of Willingham, Childerley, Dry-Drayton, Girton, Impington, Histon, Oakington, Long-Stanton-St. Michael, Long-Stanton-All Saints, Rampton, Cottenham, Landbeach, and Water-beach; and the sub-district of Great Shelford, containing the parishes of Great Shelford, Little Shelford, Stapleford, Hauxton, Newton, Harston, Haslingfield, Harleton, Comberton, Barton, Madingley, Coton, Grantchester, and Trumpington. Acres, 76, 728. Poor-rates in 1862, £13, 600. Pop. in 1841, 21, 599; in 1861, 25, 083. Houses, 5, 464. Marriages in 1860, 182; births, 831, -of which 37 were illegitimate; deaths, 457, -of which 165 were at ages under 5 years, and 24 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1, 921; births, 8, 428; deaths, 5, 027. The places of worship in 1851 were 38 of the Church of England, with 7, 261 sittings; 3 of Independents, with 820 s.; 22 of Baptists, with 4, 506 s.; 7 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1, 140 s.; 2 of Primitive Methodists, with 194 s.; and 2 undefined, with 190 s. The schools were 46 public day schools, with 2, 833 scholars; 53 private day schools, with 1, 153 s.; 45 Sunday schools, with 3, 594 s.; and 4 evening schools for adults, with 66 s.-The hundred contains only five parishes and part of another. Acres, 15, 847. Pop., 6, 970. Houses, 1, 509.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, a district, and a hundred"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Chesterton AP/CP       Chesterton Hundred       Chesterton PLU/RegD       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place: Chesterton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.