Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHESWARDINE

CHESWARDINE, a township and a parish in Market-Drayton district, Salop. The township lies on the verge of the county, adjacent to the Birmingham and Liverpool canal, 4½ miles SSE of Market-Drayton r. station, and 7½ N by W of Newport; and has a post office under Market-Drayton. The parish includes also the townships of Chipnall, Goldstone, Ellerton, Sambrook, and Sowdley. Acres, 5, 723. Real property, £9, 564. Pop., 1, 159. Houses, 225. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £245.* Patron, E. W. Harding, Esq. The church was built in 1809; but has the tower of a previous edifice. Charities, £59.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Cheswardine AP/CP       Market Drayton PLU/RegD       Shropshire AncC
Place: Cheswardine

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.