Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CHRISTCHURCH-SOUTHWARK

CHRISTCHURCH-SOUTHWARK, a parish and a sub-district in St. Saviour-Southwark district, Surrey; on the Thames, in the neighbourhood of Blackfriars Bridge, Southwark. Acres, 95; of which 21 are water. Real property, £70, 827. Pop. in 1841, 14, 616; in 1861. 17, 069. Houses, 1,891. The parish was constituted in 1670; and it previously formed the part of St. Saviour-Southwark parish known as the manor of Paris Garden. Here was one of the ancient play-houses of the metropolis; and here were exhibited the barbarous bear-baitings anciently in vogue. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £600.* Patrons, the Trustees of Marshall's Charities. The church, the stipend, and extensive charities, sprang from a bequest in 1627 by Mr. John Marshall. St. Saviour's workhouse is here. -The sub-district is co-terminate with the parish.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Southwark Christchurch CP/ParLib       Christchurch Southwark SubD       Southwark PLU/RegD       Surrey AncC
Place: Southwark

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.