Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CLIMPING

CLIMPING, a parish in Worthing district, Sussex; at the mouth of the river Arun and on the South Coast railway, 1 mile WSW of Arundel and Littlehampton r. station, and 4 SSW of Arundel. It has a post office under Arundel. Acres, 2, 185; of which 380 are water. Real property, £3, 736. Pop., 331. Houses, 50. The property is subdivided. Lands here were held, under Roger de Montgomery, by the Norman abbey of Almenesches and St. Martin at Seez. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £304.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is early English, with circular windows above lancets; and has a Norman tower.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Climping CP/AP       East Preston Inc/PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place: Climping

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.