Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for COCKSHUTT

COCKSHUTT, a township and a chapelry in Ellesmere parish, Salop. The township is joined to Crosemere; lies 2 miles S of the Ellesmere canal, 4 miles N of Baschurch r. station, and 5 ½ W of Wem; has a post office under Shrewsbury; and is a seat of petty sessions. Rated property, £6, 776. Pop., 434. The property is subdivided. The chapelry was constituted recently; and is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £86. Patron, the Vicar of Ellesmere. The church is good.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Cockshutt Ch/CP       Ellesmere AP/CP/Tn       Shropshire AncC
Place: Cockshutt

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.