Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for COCKINGTON

COCKINGTON, a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon; adjacent to the Torquay railway, near Tor bay, 2 miles W of Torquay. Post town, Torquay. Acres, 1, 016. Real property, £2, 326. Pop., 210. Houses, 38. The manor belonged formerly to the Carys; and belongs now to the Mallocks. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Tor-Mohun, in the diocese of Exeter. The church is ancient; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with western embattled tower; and has an ancient carved screen, and a very ancient octagonal font. Seven alms-houses have £37 a year; and other charities £4.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Cockington CP/AP       Newton Abbot PLU/RegD       Devon AncC
Place: Cockington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.