Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for COLAN

COLAN, a parish in St. Columb district, Cornwall; 3½ miles SW of St. Columb-Major, and 8½ NNW of Grampound-Road r. station. Post-town, St. Columb, Cornwall. Acres, 1, 545. Real property, £2, 622. Pop., 255. Houses, 51. The property is divided among a few. Cosworth was the seat of the Blewitts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £163.* Patron, the Bishop of Exeter. The church was founded, in 1250, by Bishop Branscombe; and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Bible Christians.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Colan CP/AP       St Columb Major PLU/RegD       Cornwall AncC
Place: Colan

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.