Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for COMPTON-GIFFORD

COMPTON-GIFFORD, a tything in Charles-the-Martyr parish, Devon; 1½ mile NNE of Plymouth. It includes the small villages of Compton, Mannamead, Mutley, and Hyde-Park-Terrace, comprising a number of fine residences; and has a post office, of the name of Compton, under Plymouth. Acres, 641. Real property, £5, 969; of which £156 are in quarries. Pop., 880. Houses, 140. The Plymouth, Stonehouse, and Devonport cemetery, established in 1846, comprising 18 acres, and Containing two chapels, both in the decorated style of architecture, one of them with a bell-tower, is here. The new South Devon militia depôt also is here, in Ford Park. The tything has a small chapel of ease; and is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Charles-the-Martyr, in the diocese of Exeter.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a tything"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Compton Gifford Ch/CP       Plymouth Charles AP/CP       Devon AncC
Place: Compton Gifford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.