Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CORTON-DENHAM

CORTON-DENHAM, a parish in Wincanton district, Somerset; 2¼ miles E of Marston r. station, and 4 N of Sherborne. Post town, Marston-Magna, under Sherborne. Acres, 1, 371. Real property, with Sandford-Orcas, £5, 232. Pop., 413. Houses, 82. The property is divided among a few. Roman coins have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £320.* Patron, Lord Portman. The church is Norman and good: consists of nave, aisle, chancel, and porch, with a tower; and contains an ancient font. There is a Wesleyan chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Corton Denham CP/AP       Wincanton PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Corton Denham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.