Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for COTHERIDGE

COTHERIDGE, a parish in Martley district, Worcestershire; on the river Teme, and on the Worcester and Malvern railway, 4 miles W of Worcester. It includes the hamlets of Hewson and Otherton; and has a post office under Worcester. Acres, 2, 202. Real property, £3, 104. Pop., 233. Houses, 46. Cotheridge Court, the seat of the Rev. W.Berkeley, the lord of the manor, stands amid extensive grounds; and is approached by a straight avenue of lofty trees, ½ a mile long. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, not reported. Patron, the Rev. W.Berkeley. The church has an arched partition between nave and chancel; and one of the arches is Norman. Charities, £8.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Cotheridge AP/CP       Martley PLU/RegD       Worcestershire AncC
Place: Cotheridge

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.