Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for COWBIT

COWBIT, a village and a parish in Spalding district, Lincoln. The village stands near the Welland navgation and the March and Spalding railway, 3½ miles SSE of Spalding, and 5 NNE of Crowland; and has a post office under Spalding, and a r. station. The parish includes also Peakhill hamlet, and allotments in Pinchbeck North Fen. Acres, 4, 590. Real property, £4, 591. Pop., 649. Houses, 141. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £625.* Patrons, Feoffees. The church was built in 1486; and has a tower with a groined roof, and an octagonal panelled font. There is a Weslenan chapel. A school has £55 from endowment: and other charities £30.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Cowbit Ch/CP       Spalding PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Cowbit

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.