Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CRESSWELL

CRESSWELL, a township and a chapelry in Woodhorn parish, Northumberland. The township lies on the coast, 3½ miles ESE of Widrington r. station, and 7¼ NE of Morpeth. Post town, Ellington, under Morpeth. Acres, 1, 078. Pop., 244. Houses, 45. The chapelry is more extensive than the township: and was constituted in 1836. Pop., 508. Houses, 91. Cresswell House, built in 1825 after designs by Shaw, is the seat of A. J.Baker, Esq. A very ancient tower here, 21½ feet by 16, consists of strong rude masonry. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Durham. Value, £100.* Patron, A. J.Baker, Esq. The church is in the early English style.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Cresswell Tn/CP       Woodhorn AP/CP       Northumberland AncC
Place: Cresswell

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.