Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for CUCKFIELD

CUCKFIELD, a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district, in Sussex. The town stands on an eminence, 2 miles W by N of Haywards-Heath r. station, and 12 NNW of Lewes; commands a fine view over the Weald; is a seat of petty sessions and a polling-place; and has a head post office, ‡ two chief inns, a parish church, two dissenting chapels, two public schools, and a work-house. The church ranges from early English to perpendicular; has an early English tower; and contains monuments by Flaxman and Westmacott. Markets used to be held on Fridays; but were recently transferred to Haywards-Heath. -The parish comprises 11, 167 acres. Real property, £16, 636. Pop., 3, 539. Houses, 573. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Earl Fitzwairne, and passed to the Duke of Norfolk. Cuckfield Place is the seat of W. Sergison, Esq.; dates from the end of the 16th century; and was the original of Ainsworth's "Rookwood Hall. " Ockenden House was the residence of Timothy Burrell and Sir William Burrell, the antiquaries. Leigh Pond covers about 50 acres, and is a resort of wild fowl. Freestone has been largely quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £613.* Patron, the Bishop ofThe chapelries of Staplefield-Common and Haywards-Heath are separate -The sub-district contains also the parishes of Slaugham, Bolney, and Cowfold. Acres, 24, 534. Pop., 6, 792. Houses, 1, 186. The district comprehends likewise the sub-district of Lindfield, containing the parishes of Lindfield, Ardingly, Balcombe, and Horsted-Keynes; and the sub-district of Hurstper-point, containing the parishes of Hurstperpoint, Clayton, Keymer, Albourne, Newtimber, Pyecombe, and Twineham. Acres, 61, 793. Poor-rates in 1862, £9, 393. Pop. in 1841, 17, 132; in 1861, 17, 163. Houses, 3, 065. Marriages in 1860, 116; births, 559, -of which 35 were illegitimate; deaths, 301, -of which 110 were at ages under 5 years, and 9 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1, 028; births, 5, 422; deaths, 2, 876. The places of worship in 1851 were 11 of the Church of England, with 3, 709 sittings; 7 of Independents, with 1, 610 s.; 7 of Baptists, with 700 s.; and 1 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 131 s. The schools were 19 public day schools, with 1, 423 scholars; 33 private day schools, with 840 s.; 14 Sunday schools, with 1, 187 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 7 s.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a small town, a parish, a sub-district, and a district"   (ADL Feature Type: "cities")
Administrative units: Cuckfield CP/AP       Cuckfield SubD       Cuckfield PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place: Cuckfield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.