Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DARENTH, or Darent

DARENTH, or Darent, a parish in Dartford district, Kent; on the river Darent, 1½ mile N of Farningham r. station, and 2¼ SSE of Dartford. It includes part of South Darenth hamlet; and its post town is Sutton-at-Hone, under Dartford. Acres, 2, 189. Real property, £4, 959. Pop., 626. Houses, 128. The property is divided among a few. The manor was given by Duke Eudulf, in 940, to the Archbishops of Canterbury; and exchanged by them, in 1196, with Rochester abbey for Lambeth. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £339.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is early Norman, and good; and has a very curiously figured font. There is a Wesleyan chapel. Charities, £22.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Darenth CP/AP       Dartford PLU/RegD       Kent AncC
Place names: DARENT     |     DARENTH     |     DARENTH OR DARENT
Place: Darenth

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.