Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DEBDEN, or Depden

DEBDEN, or Depden, a village and a parish in Saffron-Walden district, Essex. The village stands 2¾ miles E of Newport r. station, and 3½ S by E of Saffron-Walden; and has a post office under Saffron-Walden, and a fair on 1 June. The parish comprises 4, 404 acres. Real property, £6, 049. Pop., 942. Houses, 203. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, in the time of the Conqueror, to Ralph Peverell; and belongs now to Sir F. Vincent, Bart. Debden Hall was built in 1795, after designs by Holland. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £837.* Patron, Sir F. Vincent, Bart. The church is ancient; has monuments of the Chiswells; and is good. There are a national school and charities £104.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Debden AP/CP       Saffron Walden PLU/RegD       Essex AncC
Place names: DEBDEN     |     DEBDEN OR DEPDEN     |     DEPDEN
Place: Debden

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.