Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DEPWADE

DEPWADE, a district and a hundred in Norfolk. The district extends 17 miles along the Waveney, at the boundary with Suffolk, around Diss and Harleston; goes 14 miles northward, to the vicinity of Wymondham; is traversed, through the centre, by the Norwich railway: and comprehends the sub-districts of Harleston, Diss, Stratton, and Forncett. The sub-district of Harleston contains the parishes of Earsham, Denton, Alburgh, Wortwell, Redenhall, Starston, Needham, Brockdish, Thorpe-Abbots, and Rushall; that of Diss, the parishes of Dickleburgh, Thelveton, Billingford, Scole, Thorpe-Parva, Frenze, Diss, Burston, Shimpling, Gissing, Tivets-hall-St. Mary, and Tivetshall-St. Margaret; that of Stratton, the parishes of Pulham-St. Mary Magdalene, Pulham-St. Mary-the-Virgin, Hardwick, Shelton, Morningthorpe, Fritton, Hempnall, Tasburgh, Tharston, Stratton-St. Michael, Stratton-St. Mary, and Wacton; and that of Forncett, the parishes of Great Moulton, Aslacton, Forncett-St. Peter, Forncett-St. Mary, Hapton, Ash-wellthorpe, Fundenhall, Tacolnestone, Bunwell, Carleton-Rode, and Tibenham. Acres of the district, 72, 681. Poor-rates, in 1862, £15, 664. Pop., in 1841, 25, 589; in 1861, 25, 248. Houses, 5, 543. Marriages, in 1860, 178; births, 803, -of which 80 were illegitimate; deaths, 523, -of which 180 were at ages under 5 years, and 37 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60. 1, 752; births, 8, 240; deaths, 5, 047. The places of worship in 1851 were 44 of the Church of England, with 10, 771 sittings; 6 of Independents, with 1, 590 s.; 10 of Baptists, with 1,850 s.; 3 of Quakers, with 700 s.; 2 of Unitarians, with 380 s.; 10 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 1,886 s.; 13 of Primitive Methodists, with 1, 227 s.; and 1 of Roman Catholics, with 60 s. The schools were 30 public day schools, with 2, 135 scholars; 47 private day schools, with 894 s.; 51 Sunday schools, with 3, 091 s.; and 2 evening schools for adults, with 39 s. The workhouse is in Pulham-St. Mary Magdalene. -The hundred comprises only the northern part of the district; and contains twenty-three parishes. Acres, 31, 867. Pop., 9, 617. Houses, 2, 129.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a district and a hundred"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 3rd order divisions")
Administrative units: Depwade PLU/RegD       Norfolk AncC
Place: Depwade

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.