Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for DOYNTON

DOYNTON, a parish in Chipping-Sodbury district, Gloucester; on the river Boyd, near the boundaries with Wilts and Somerset, 4 miles N of Twerton r. station, and 5 NNW of Bath. Post town, Bitton, under Bristol. Acres, 1, 703. Real property, £4, 007. Pop., 448. Houses, 85. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £433.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is old, but good; shows no regard to style; and has a square tower. A chapel, in connexion with the Bristol Itinerant Society, was founded in 1861.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Doynton CP/AP       Chipping Sodbury PLU/RegD       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Doynton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.