Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for ECCLESHILL

ECCLESHILL, a township-chapelry in Bradford parish, W. R. Yorkshire; on the river Aire, adjacent to the Leeds and Lancaster railway, near Apperley station, 3 miles NNE of Bradford. It includes part of Apperley-Bridge village; and has a post office under Leeds. Acres, 1, 070. Real property, £10, 549; of which £260 are in mines. Pop., 4, 482. Houses, 1, 038. Many of the inhabitants are employed in the woollen trade. The chapelry was constituted in 1858. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £64.* Patron, the Vicar of Bradford. The church is modern; and there are five dissenting chapels, two public schools, and a mechanics' institute built in 1869.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a township-chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Bradford CP/AP       Eccleshill Tn/CP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Eccleshill

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.