Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for EDGMOND

EDGMOND, a village and a parish in Newport district, Salop. The village stands near the Newport canal, 2 miles W of Newport town and r. station; and has a post office under Newport, Salop. The parish includes the townships of Cherrington, Chetwynd-Aston, Church-Aston, and Tibberton. Acres, 9, 598. Real property, £10, 472. Pop., 2, 598. Houses, 533. The property is much subdivided. Edgmond Hall is the seat of the Rev. J. D. Pigott. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £2, 600.* Patron, the Rev. J. D. Corbet. The church is ancient; has a tower; and is good. The rectories of Church-Aston and Tiberton are separate benefices. A school has £10 from endowment, and other charities £67.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Edgmond CP/AP       Newport PLU/RegD       Shropshire AncC
Place: Edgmond

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.