Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for EMLEY, or Elmley

EMLEY, or Elmley, a village and a township in Wakefield district, and a parish partly also in Huddersfield district, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands near one of the sources of the river Dearne, 3¾ miles WNW of Haigh r. station, and 7 ESE of Huddersfield; and has a post office under Wakefield, and fairs on 25 March and 29 Sept. The township includes also the hamlets of Bentley-Grange and Woodhouse. Acres, 3, 465. Real property, £5, 858; of which £1, 200 are in mines. Pop., 1, 441. Houses, 312. The parish includes also part of the township of Cumberworth-Half. Acres, 3, 715. Real property, with the rest of Cumberworth-Half, £9, 203. Pop., 2, 771. Houses, 573. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £422. Patron, the Earl of Scarborough. The church has an embattle tower, and is good. There are chapels for Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and U. Free Methodists, and charities £24.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a township"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Huddersfield PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place names: ELMLEY     |     EMLEY     |     EMLEY OR ELMLEY
Place: Emley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.