Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for EVERCREECH

EVERCREECH, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Shepton-Mallet district, Somerset. The village stands adjacent to the Somerset and Dorset railway, near the Fosse way, 3¾ miles SE by S of Shepton-Mallet; and has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Bath. The parish includes also the chapelry of Chester-blade, and the hamlets of Bagbury, Southwood, and Stoney-Stratton. Acres, 4, 078. Real property, £9, 760. Pop., 1, 321. Houses, 304. The property is much sub-divided. Silk-weaving is carried on, but has undergone such decline as to cause considerable decrease of the population. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of Chesterblade, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £226.* Patron, the Dowager Lady Talbot de Malahide. The church is good, and has a tower which figures finely in the landscape. There are a Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £60. -The sub-district contains also nine other parishes. Acres, 21, 233. Pop., 5, 141. Houses, 1, 166.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Evercreech CP/AP       Evercreech SubD       Shepton Mallet PLU/RegD       Somerset AncC
Place: Evercreech

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.