Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FARNHURST, or Fernhurst

FARNHURST, or Fernhurst, a parish in Midhurst district, Sussex; 3½ miles S by W of Haslemere r. station, and 4½ N by E of Midhurst. It has a post office under Liphook. Acres, 4, 757. Real property, £2, 230. Pop., 769. Houses, 116. The property is divided among a few. The scenery, in the S, is wild and various; and a very fine view is obtained at Henley hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Valne, £111.* Patron, the Earl of Egmont. The church is early English and good; and has a shingle spire.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Fernhurst CP/Ch       Midhurst PLU/RegD       Sussex AncC
Place names: FARNHURST     |     FARNHURST OR FERNHURST     |     FERNHURST
Place: Fernhurst

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.