Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FIRLE (West)

FIRLE (West), a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Lewes district, Sussex. The village stands under Firle Beacon, 1½ mile SE of Glynde r. station, and 4½ SE by E of Lewes; and has a post office, of the name of Firle, under Lewes.—The parish comprises 3, 392 acres. Real property, £3, 934. Pop., 631. Houses, 111. The property is divided among a few. Firle Place, a Tudor mansion, is the seat of Lord Gage. Firle Beacon rises behind that residence, and commands a fine view of the coast. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Beddingham, in the diocese of Chichester. The church has six brasses of the Gages, from 1569 onward; has also some other monuments; and is very good.—The sub-district forms a poor-law union, with workhouse in West Firle parish; and contains eight parishes. Acres, 14, 494. Pop., 2, 379. Houses, 416.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Firle CP/AP       West Firle SubD       Sussex AncC
Place names: FIRLE     |     FIRLE WEST     |     WEST FIRLE
Place: Firle

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.