Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FITTLEWORTH

FITTLEWORTH, a village and a parish in Chichester district, Sussex. The village stands near a bridge on the river Rother, 2½ miles W by N of Pulborough r. station, and 2½ SE by E of Petworth; and has a post office under Petworth. The parish comprises 2, 367 acres. Real property, £3, 291. Pop., 683. Houses, 152. - The property is divided among a few. Fittleworth wood is a meet for the Wyndham hounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £371.* Patron, the Bishop of Chichester. The church is very good; and there are charities £73.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Fittleworth AP/CP       Sussex AncC
Place: Fittleworth

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.