Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for FOREST-ROW

FOREST-ROW, a hamlet and a chapelry in East Grinstead parish, Sussex. The hamlet adjoins the N side of Ashdown forest, near the Three-Bridges and Tunbridge-Wells railway, 3 miles SE of East Grinstead; and has a post office under East Grinstead, a railway station, and a fair on 8 Nov. The chapelry was constituted in 1850. Pop., 1, 411. Houses, 285. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £150. Patron, the Vicar of East Grinstead. The church is good; and there are chapels for Independents and Baptists, and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: East Grinstead CP/AP       Forest Row CP/Hmlt/Ch       Sussex AncC
Place: Forest Row

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.