Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GEDNEY-HILL

GEDNEY-HILL, a hamlet-chapelry and a sub-district in Holbeach district, Lincoln. The chapelry is in Gedney parish; was constituted a separate charge in last century; lies contiguous to Cambridgeshire, 6¾ miles E of Crowland, and 9 E by S of Peakirk and Crowland r. station; and has a post office under Wisbeach. Real property, £4, 511. Pop., 466. Houses, 99. The property is much subdivided. Much of the surface is fen. A moated fort of the Romans was here; a Roman road went hence to Spalding; and Roman coins have been found. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £120.* Patron, the Rev. Thomas Clark. The church is old, and was recently in disrepair. There are a Baptist chapel, and charities £353. The sub-district excludes most of Gedney parish; but includes parts of four other parishes. Pop., 2, 994. Houses, 605.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet-chapelry and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Gedney Hill CP/Ch       Holbeach PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Gedney Hill

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.