Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GEDNEY

GEDNEY, a village and a parish in Holbeach district, Lincoln. The village stands adjacent to the Spalding and Sutton-Bridge railway, 3¼ miles E by S of Holbeach; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Wisbeach. The parish contains also the hamlet of Gedney-Hill. Acres, 25, 257; of which 12, 880 are water. Real property, £24, 836. Pop., 2, 459. Houses, 497. The property is much subdivided. The manor belonged. anciently to Crowland abbey. Remains of Roman en-trenchments exist; and Roman coins have been found. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £667.* Patron, the Crown. The church was built by the abbots of Crowland; is chiefly perpendicular English; has a tower 86 feet high; measures 160 feet in length, exclusive of the tower; contains an ancient copper lock, with Saxon inscription; and is in a fair condition. The p. curacies of Drove-End and Gedney-Hill are separate benefices. There are chapels for Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists, a national school, and charities £79.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Gedney AP/CP       Holbeach PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Gedney

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.