Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GIRTON

GIRTON, a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; adjacent to the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, between Histon and Oakington station, 3½ miles NNE of Cambridge. Post town, Histon, under Cambridge. Acres, 1, 674. Real property, £3, 137. Pop., 469. Houses, 95. The property is much subdivided. The manor belongs to Sir St. Vincent Cotton, Bart. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £420.* Patron, the Bishop of Ely. The church has a tower; contains two brasses of the 15th century; and was restored in 1858. There is an endowed school, built in 1845.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Girton CP/AP       Chesterton PLU/RegD       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place: Girton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.