Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GOSBERTON

GOSBERTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in Spalding district, Lincoln. The village stands near Risegate drain, 2½ miles WNW of Surfleet and Gosberton r. station, and 6 N by W of Spalding; and has a post office‡ under Spalding. The parish includes also the hamlets of Cheal, Rightbolt, Westhorpe, and part of Risegate. Acres, 8, 820. Real property, £19, 826. Pop., 2, 107. Houses, 453. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £150.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Lincoln. The church is cruciform and interesting; includes a chapel of the Blessed Sacrament on the S side of the . chancel; has a tower, with fine groined roof, and a beautiful octagonal spire; contains sedilia, rood stairs, and effigies of a knight and lady; and was recently in disrepair. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Free Methodists, a school with £28 from endowments, and other charities with £74.—The sub-district includes also Surfleet parish. Acres, 12, 320. Pop., 3, 060. Houses, 662.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Gosberton AP/CP       Gosberton SubD       Spalding PLU/RegD       Lincolnshire AncC
Place: Gosberton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.