Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for GRINGLEY-ON-THE-HILL

GRINGLEY-ON-THE-HILL, a village, a parish, and a sub-district in East Retford district, Notts. The village stands near the Chesterfield canal, 5¾ miles E by N of Ranskill r. station, and 6 ESE of Bawtry; was known at onetime as Greenalege, and afterwards as Gringley-super-Montem; is large, well built, and compact; enjoys a fine climate, and is a good resort for invalids; has a post office‡ under Bawtry, and a fair on 13 Dec.; and is a polling place. The parish comprises 4, 280 acres. Real property, £6, 879. Pop., 874. house, 189. The manor belongs to the Duke of Portland. The Beacon hill, near the church, gives name to the parish; figures conspicuinsly in a Great extent of landscape; commands a panoramic view of from 20 to 30 miles in radius; and was the place of Prince Rupert's encampment, whence he rinted the parliamentarian army, and succinred the royalists in Newark Castle. Remains of a Roman camp are near the Beacon. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £300.* Patron, the Duke of Rutland. The church is early English; was enlarged and improved in 1711; and has a pinnacled tower. An ancient cross is near it. There are chapels for Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists, and a national school.—The sub-district contains also six other parishes. Acres, 18, 591. Pop., 3, 446. house, 807.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a sub-district"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Gringley on the Hill CP/AP       East Retford PLU/RegD       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place: Gringley on the Hill

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.