Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HAMPTON-WICK

HAMPTON-WICK, a hamlet and a chapelry in Hampton parish, Middlesex. The hamlet lies on the river Thames, and on the Kingston branch of the London, Richmond, and Windsor railway, ½ a mile N by W of Kingston-on-Thames; is connected with Kingston by a handsome stone bridge; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Kingston, London, SW. Real property, £10, 592. Pop. in 1851, 1, 668; in 1861, 1, 994. Houses, 384. Steele lived in a house here, called the Hovel.—The chapelry was constituted in 1831, and is conterminate with the hamlet. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Value, £150. * Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a neat brick edifice; and consists of nave and aisle, with a tower. There are a national school, and a branch of the Hampton grammar school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hampton AP/CP       Middlesex AncC
Place: Hampton

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.