Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HANHAM

HANHAM, a hamlet and a chapelry in Bitton parish, Gloucester. The hamlet lies on the river Avon, at the boundary with Somerset, 1 mile NW of Keynsham r. station, and 5 ESE of Bristol; and has a post office under Bristol. The chapelry was reconstituted, with altered limits, in 1844. Acres, within the original limits, 1, 212Real property, £3, 706; of which £127 are in quarries. Pop., 1, 224. Houses, 255. Rated property within the new limits, £3, 229. Pop., 1, 271. Houses, 267. The property is subdivided. The quarries are numerous; and what they furnish is paving stone for Bath and Bristol. The living is a vicarage, united with the chapelry of Christchurch, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £131.* Patron, the Vicar of Bitton. There are two churches-Hanham-Abbotts and Christchurch-and a Wesleyan chapel.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Bitton AP/CP       Hanham Ch/CP       Gloucestershire AncC
Place: Hanham

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.