Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HANLEY-CASTLE

HANLEY-CASTLE, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Upton-on-Severn district, Worcester. The village stands on the W side of the river Severn, 1½ mile NW of Upton-on-Severn r. station, and 6 W of Defford; and has a post office ‡ under Worcester. The parish includes also the village of Malvern Wells, and the hamlets of Blackmore End, Hanley-Quay, and Gilberts-End. Acres, 5, 630. Real property, £14, 308. Pop., 1, 733. Houses, 367. A castle here, some remains of which exist, belonged to Brictic who refused the hand of Maud, afterwards the wife of William the Conqueror; passed to the Earls of Warwick; was the death place of Henry-de-Beauchamp; and passed to the Despencers, the Savages, the Arles, the Lechmeres, and the Charltons. Hanley Castle mansion is now the seat of Thomas Gee, Esq.; Blackmore Park is the seat of John V. Hornyold, Esq.; Rhydd Court is the property of Sir Edmund A. H. Lechmere, Bart.; and Severn End is the ancient seat of the Lechmere family. Invalids resort to Malvern Wells; and there is a wharf on the Severn at Hanley-Quay. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Worcester. Value, £650. * Patron, Sir E. A. H. Lechmere, Bart. The church is partly decorated English, partly brickwork of 1674; has a tower; was restored in 1858; and has two recent memorial windows. The p. curacy of Malvern Wells is a separate benefice. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, an endowed grammar school, rebuilt in 1869, a national school, and a working men's institute. -The sub-district includes five other parishes. Acres, 20, 007. Pop., 11, 377. Houses, 2, 011.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hanley Castle CP/AP       Upton upon Severn PLU/RegD       Worcestershire AncC
Place: Hanley Castle

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.