Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HANMER

HANMER, a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict, in the district of Ellesmere and county of Flint. The village stands near the boundary with Salop, 3 miles N of Bettisfield r. station, and 5 NE of Ellesmere; and has a post office‡ under Whitchurch, Salop. The township comprises 2, 247 acres. Real property, £4, 738. Pop., 491. Houses, 91. The parish contains also the townships of Bettisfield, Bronington, Halghton, Tybroughton, and Willington. Acres, 14, 718. Real property, £19, 601. Pop., 2, 519. Houses, 504. The property is divided among four. Bettisfield Park is the seat of Sir John Hanmer, Bart.; and Gredington Hall is a seat of Lord Kenyon. Hanmer mere covers about 73 acres. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £397.* Patron, Sir J. Hanmer, Bart. The church is of the time of Henry VII., in very good condition; and has monuments of Speaker Hanmer and Lord Chief Justice Kenyon. The vicarage of Bronington is a separate charge. There is a chapel in the township of Bettisfield, served from Hanmer.-Hanmer school has £33 10s.; and other charities have £101. Davydd ap Edmund, the bard, was a native.—The sub-district is conterminate with the parish.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, a parish, and a subdistrict"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hanmer AP/CP       Hanmer SubD       Flintshire AncC
Place: Hanmer

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.