Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for Alford Valley Railway

Alford Valley Railway, a railway of south central Aberdeenshire, deflects from the Great North of Scotland at Kintore, and runs 16½ miles westward, by the stations of Kemnay, Monymusk, Tillyfourie, and Whitehouse, to Alford village. Authorised in 1856, it was opened in 1859, and amalgamated with the Great North of Scotland in 1866. Its gradients are steep, the summit level on Tillyfourie Hill being 636 feet: and the journey occupies 65 minutes.


(F.H. Groome, Ordnance Gazetteer of Scotland (1882-4); © 2004 Gazetteer for Scotland)

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a railway"   (ADL Feature Type: "railroad features")
Administrative units: Aberdeenshire ScoCnty
Place: Alford

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.