Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HARTFIELD

HARTFIELD, a village, a parish, and a hundred in Sussex. The village stands on the N verge of Ashdown forest, adjacent to a headstream of the river Medway, and to the Three-Bridges and Tunbridge-Wells railway, 6 miles ESE of East Grinstead; and has a r. station, a post office under Tunbridge Wells, and a fair on the Thursday after Whit week. The parish contains also the hamlet of Holtye-Common, and the places called Bolebrooke, Perry-Hill, Holly-Hill, Colemans Hatch, Shepherds-Corner, Gallypot-Street, and Cay-Street; is cut into two divisions, N and S; and is in the district of East Grinstead. Acres, 10, 267. Real property, £6, 383. Pop., 1, 451. Houses, 269. Pop. of the S div., 1, 002. Houses, 185. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Earl Delawarr. Much of the surface is forest land; and about 70 acres are under hops. Fine views are obtained from Perry-Hill, Holly-Hill, and High-Beeches. The living is a rectory and a vicarage, united with a chapelry of St. Peter, in the diocese of Chichester. Value, £900.* Patron, Earl Delawarr. The church includes early English and decorated English portions; has a square tower; is in good condition; and contains many monumental tablets. There are a chapel of ease at Holtye-Common, a Wesleyan chapel, an en dowed national school, seven neat alms Houses, and a workhouse.-The hundred includes also Withyham parish; is in the rape of Pevensey; and is conterminate with Withyham sub-district. Acres, 18, 353. Pop., 3, 048 Houses, 575.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a parish, and a hundred"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Hartfield CP/AP       Hartfield Hundred       Sussex AncC
Place: Hartfield

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.