Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HEADINGLEY

HEADINGLEY, a village, a township, and a chapelry, in Leeds parish, W. R. Yorkshire. The village stands on the river Aire, and on the Leeds and Harrogate railway, 2 miles NW of Leeds; is a considerable place, with many handsome villas; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Leeds.-The township bears the name of Headingley-with-Burley; contains the villages of Burley and Kirkstall; and is divided into the chapelries of H., Far-H., Burley, and Kirkstall. Acres, 3, 058. Real property, £36, 012; of which £1, 800 are in iron works, and £155 in quarries. Pop., in 1851, 6, 105; in 1861, 9, 674. Houses, 2, 024. The increase of pop. was partly occasioned by the erection of residences for many of the merchants of Leeds. The Botanical and Zoological gardens of Leeds are here; and there are a large bleaching establishment, several worsted mills, a flax mill, and a tannery. The ancient oak also is here which gives name to the wapentake of Skyrack, originally Scire oak.—The chapelry of Headingley is of prior date to the other three chapelries. Pop. in 1861, 3, 119. The living is a p. curacy in the dio. of Ripon. Value, £300.* Patron, the Vicar of Leeds ''The church was rebuilt in 1837, at a cost of £3, 000. An Independent chapel at H. Hill was built in 1867, at a cost of fully £6, 000. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village, a township, and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Leeds CP/AP       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Headingley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.