Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HISTON

HISTON, a village and a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire. The village stands near the Cambridge and Huntingdon railway, 4 miles NNW of Cambridge; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Cambridge. The parish comprises 2, 300 acres. Real property, £5, 524. Pop., 971. Houses, 206. Most of the land is divided among three. Histon Hall is the seat of W. R. Sumpter, Esq. Market gardening is carried on. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £400.* Patron, the Rev. T. P. Michell. The church is ancient and cruciform, has a central tower, and was recently restored. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, an endowed school with £20 a year, and some considerable charities.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Histon AP/CP       Chesterton PLU/RegD       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place: Histon

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.