Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HODDLESDEN

HODDLESDEN, a hamlet and a chapelry in Over Darwen township, Blackburn parish, Lancashire. The hamlet lies 1¾ mile E of Over Darwen town and r. station; and has an inn, a large cotton mill, a colliery, and a brick work. The chapelry includes the township of Yate and Pickup Bank, and a portion of the township of Eccleshill; and was constituted in 1862. Posttown, Over Darwen, under Blackburn. Pop., 2, 250. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, about £200. Patrons, the Vicar of Blackburn and W. B. Ranken, Esq. The church was built in 1863, at a cost of about £4, 000; is in the geometrical English style; comprises nave, chancel, and N aisle, with W tower; and contains about 600 sittings. There are an Independent chapel at Pickup Bank, and national schools at Pickup Bank and Hoddlesden.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a hamlet and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Blackburn CP/AP       Lancashire AncC
Place: Hoddlesden

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.