Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HOLME-PIERREPONT

HOLME-PIERREPONT, a parish in Bingham district, Notts; on the river Trent, 1½ mile SW of Ratcliffe r. station, and 4½ E by S of Nottingham. It contains the hamlets of Holme-Lane and Adbolton, and parts of the hamlet of Lamcote and the township of Bassingfield, the last of which has a post office under Nottingham. Acres, 2, 120. Real property, £4, 011. Pop. in 1851, 179; in 1861, 150. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged formerly to the Pierreponts, Dukes of Kingston; and belongs now to Earl Manvers. Holme-Pierrepont Hall, a large Gothic mansion, is the seat of Earl Manvers. The living is a rectory, united with the chapelry of Adbolton, in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £747.* Patron, Earl Manvers. The church is ancient; was recently restored; comprises nave, chancel, and aisle, with tower and lofty spire; and includes a magnificent mortuary chapel, containing numerous monuments of the Pierreponts and the Manverses. There are three small charities.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Holme Pierrepont CP/AP       Bingham PLU/RegD       Nottinghamshire AncC
Place: Holme Pierrepont

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.