Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HONINGTON

HONINGTON, a village and a parish in the district of Thetford and county of Suffolk. The village stands on an affluent of the river Waveney, 7 miles SSE of Thetford r. station; and has a post office, under Buryst. Edmunds.—The parish comprises 1, 203 acres. Real property, £2, 019. Pop., 363. Houses, 73. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to the Duke of Grafton. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £332. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is a stone building, with tiled roof and stone tower; and has a brass of 1594. Charities, £64. Robert Bloomfield, the poet, was a native.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Honington CP/AP       Suffolk AncC
Place: Honington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.