Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for HUGHLEY

HUGHLEY, a parish in Atcham district, Salop; on Wenlock Edge, 4 miles SW by W of Much Wenlock r. station. Post town, Much Wenlock, under Wellington, Salop. Acres, 1, 110. Real property, £889. Pop., 98. Houses, 20. The manor belonged, in the 12th century, to Hugh de Le, -hence the name Hughley; and belongs now to the Earl of Bradford. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £162.* Patron, the Earl of Bradford. The church is ancient, and has a bellturret.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Hughley CP/AP       Atcham PLU/RegD       Shropshire AncC
Place: Hughley

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.