Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for IMPINGTON

IMPINGTON, a village and a parish in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire. The village stands 1 mile ESE of Histon r. station, and 2 ½ N of Cambridge; and was once a market town. The parish comprises 1, 200 acres. Real property, £2, 759. Pop. in 1851, 273; in 1861, 335. Houses, 75. The property is much subdivided. A handsome mansion here belonged to the Pepys family; is frequently mentioned in Pepys' diary; and passed, not long ago, to the family of Coffin. A woman of this parish was enveloped in a snow drift in 1799, remained in it nearly eight days and nights, and was taken out alive; and a monument, recording the event, now stands on the spot. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, £128. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Ely. The church consists of nave, aisle, and chancel, with porch and tower; and has a brass of the Burgoynes of 1500. There are a national school, and charities £6.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Impington CP/AP       Chesterton PLU/RegD       Cambridgeshire AncC
Place: Impington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.