Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for IPPOLLITTS, or St. IPPOLYTS

IPPOLLITTS, or St. IPPOLYTS, a village and a parish in Hitchin district, Herts. The village stands near the Great Northern railway, 2 miles SSE of Hitchin; and is small. The parish contains also places called Gosmore, Ashbrook, and Little Almshoe; and is scattered. Post town, Hitchin. Acres, 2, 970. Real property, £6, 381. Pop., 952. Houses, 204. The property is much subdivided. A tumulus is at Gosmore, and another is 1 mile S. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Great Wymondley, in the diocese of Rochester. The church is of the 14th and 15th centuries; comprises nave, aisles, and chancel, with porches and a tower; and contains an open Tudor screen. There are a national school, and charities £21.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a village and a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Ippollitts AP/CP       Hitchin PLU/RegD       Hertfordshire AncC
Place names: IPPOLLITTS     |     IPPOLLITTS OR ST IPPOLYTS     |     ST IPPOLYTS
Place: Ippollitts

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.