Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KENSALL-GREEN

KENSALL-GREEN, a metropolitan suburb and a chapelry in Chelsea, Paddington, Kensington, Hammersmith, and Willesden parishes, Middlesex. The suburb lies on the Paddington canal, adjacent to four railways, and to junctions of them, 5 miles WNW of St. Paul's, London; comprises Kensall-Green hamlet and KensallNew-Town; contains many streets and villas of recent erection; and has a station on the N London railway, and post offices‡ of Kensall-Green and Kensall-NewTown, under Paddington, London W. The chapelry was constituted in 1845. Pop. in 1861, 4, 662. Houses, 846. Pop. of the Chelsea portion, 3, 223; of the Paddington portion, 706; of the Kensington portion, 54; of the Hammersmith portion, 4. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of London. Valne, £420. * Patron, the Bishop of London. The church was built in 1844. There are a Wesleyan chapel, national schools, ragged schools, a general cemetery, and a Roman Catholic cemetery. The general cemetery was formed in 1832, by a joint stock company; comprises 58 acres; is enclosed by a high wall, and adorned with walks and shrubberies; and contains the graves of Dr. Birkbeck, Sir M. J. Brnnel, Calcott the artist, Allan Cunningham, Thomas Daniel the landscape painter, J.Loudon the landscape gardener, John Liston the actor, Thomas Hood the comic writer, John Murray the publisher, Sir William Molesworth, two daughters of Sir Walter Scott, the Rev. Sydney Smith, George Dyer the historian of Cambridge, the Princess Sophia, and the Duke of Sussex. Many of the monuments are interesting; but some are in bad taste, and four of the most conspicuous are for the quack St. John Long, the rider Ducrow, the hygeist Morrison, and the auctioneer Robins.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a metropolitan suburb and a chapelry"   (ADL Feature Type: "populated places")
Administrative units: Willesden CP/AP       Middlesex AncC
Place: Kensal Green

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.