Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KIDDINGTON, or CUDDINGTON

KIDDINGTON, or CUDDINGTON, a parish in Woodstock district, Oxford; on the river Glyme, and on a branch of Akeman street, 4½ miles W by S of Heyford r. station, and 4½ NW by N of Woodstock. It comprises the hamlets of Nether K. and Over K., -divided by the Glyme; and has a post office under Woodstock. Acres, 2, 450. Real property, £3, 339. Pop., 305. Houses, 57. The manor was known to the Saxons as Cendenton, -so named from Coed, "a wood;" was given, about 780, by Offa, to Worcester abbey; went, at the Conquest, to Musard; passed to the Salceys, the Willescotes, the Babingtons, and the Brownes; and belongs now, with Kiddington Hall, to H. L. Gaskell, Esq. A Roman camp is at Hillwood; and remains of an old cross are in Over K.-The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £497. Patron, Viscount Dillon. The church was built about 1400, on the site of a Norman one; consists of nave, S aisle, and chancel, with W tower; contains a brass of the Rev. W. Goodyear; and is in good repair. There is a national school.


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Kiddington AP/CP       Woodstock PLU/RegD       Oxfordshire AncC
Place names: CENDENTON     |     CUDDINGTON     |     KIDDINGTON     |     KIDDINGTON OR CUDDINGTON
Place: Kiddington

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.