Descriptive Gazetteer Entry for KILDALE

KILDALE, a parish in Stokesley district, N. R. Yorkshire; on the North Yorkshire and Cleveland railway, 6 miles E by N of Stokesley. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Stokesley, under Northallerton. Acres, 5, 730. Real property, £2, 049; of which £100 are in quarries. Pop., 221. Houses, 40. The property is all in one estate. Kildale Hall is the seat of Mrs. Livesey. Much of the land is moor and mountain. An old castle of the Percys was here. A crutched friary was begun to be built here, in the park of the Percys, about 1312, but was left off unfinished, by interdiction of Archbishop Grenfield; and the site of it is now called Percy Cross. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £120. Patron, Mrs. Livesey. The church was rebuilt in 1714, in the room of a Saxon one; and has a tower..


(John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72))

Linked entities:
Feature Description: "a parish"   (ADL Feature Type: "countries, 4th order divisions")
Administrative units: Kildale CP/AP       Stokesley PLU/RegD       Yorkshire AncC
Place: Kildale

Go to the linked place page for a location map, and for access to other historical writing about the place. Pages for linked administrative units may contain historical statistics and information on boundaries.